/HuseneBanner.jpg

/MariboTorv.jpg
Maribo town square
is the centre of the old town. The town hall was erected in 1857 by the local master builder J.C. Mertins.
Today, the town hall houses the Tourist Information office, the Local Historical Archives, and the meeting hall where Lolland Municipality still conducts its Council meetings.
Behind the town hall was a walled prison.
/Torvet7_23.jpg
Torvet (Town square) 7 - 23
This imposing neo-gothic corner building was erected one year prior to the town hall by the same master builder. From this address, merchant Lauritz Schrøder conducted his business.
In addition to the shop, the building contained living quarters, chocolate factory, sawmill, and flax processing facility.
At Torvet 13, the poet/vicar Kaj Munk (formerly Petersen) was born to tanner Carl Emanuel Petersen on 13 January 1898.
Torvet 17 was aquired in 1902 by the Workers’ Assembly Building, ”The People’s House” in local parlance.
/Torvet20_33.jpg
Torvet 20 - 30
This row of houses, and the next row behind it, are called Bagtorvet (”Behind the square”).
The buildings are close and low. Nos. 24, 28, and 30 date from the late 1800s and are amongst the town’s oldest houses still standing. Bagtorvet was populated by minor tradesmen and craftsmen who had their dwellings and workshops here. Hence the large number of outbuildings.
 /Torvet2_18.jpg
Torvet 2 - 18
The row of houses along the west side of the square all date from the mid-1800s.
No. 2 was built in 1854 with both shop and living quarters, and no. 4 housed a bakery with a building extension for the oven.
No.12 housed a smithy for 50 years. Byens Borgerskole (primary school for paying pupils) occupied no. 18 from 1837 to 1844. The tall chimney belonged to the distillery which also shared this address.
The outbuildings contained laundry, woodshed, and bog.
 /Kapellanstraede.jpg
Kapellanstræde (”Chaplain’s alley”)
This narrow alley takes its name from the chaplain’s house that once was found here. The chaplain was an assistant to the vicar. Now, only the building covering nos. 6 – 12 remains. Nos. 2 and 4 were outbuildings of Torvet 24 with stable, granary, and barn.
The half-timbered house was once the outbuilding of Torvet 26, whose owners were masons, a joiner, and a tailor.


 /Noerregade.jpg Nørregade
Nørregade 1/Vestergade 2 used to be one of the larger mercant houses in Maribo. From 1877 until 1966 it was owned by the Roug family. A devastating fire in 1907 laid waste to most of the property. Farmers delivering produce could stable their horses on the premises, and the courtyard also gave access to storerooms, lavatories, et cetera.
In Nørregade 17 we find the excise stall from 1822. Here, on the border between town and countryside, the farmers had to pay excise (a form of tax) before they were allowed to offer their wares for sale in town. Maribo once had four excise stalls, whereof this and the one in Søndergade have survived to this day.

/Broedregade.jpg Brødregade
Brødregade 4 to 12 was erected in 1847. The building on the corner of Rosengade has housed dwellings and workshops since 1839. In bygone days it also accommodated the tavern ''Kronborg''.
Brødregade widens into Gåsetorvet (”the Goose market”). No. 7 was erected around year 1800 and from 1888 a schoolmistress ran a prep school here for 29 years.
No. 9 housed a grocery store from the 1930s until 1971.
No. 16 was erected in 1886 as the town’s orphanage. The house has also housed a crèche and a kindergarten. The orphanage was closed down in 1984 and the building demolished.
Brødregade 18 was erected in 1846 as a hospital. The half-timbered outbuilding was mortuary, woodshed and bog. The hospital was discontinued in 1895 and the building is now an apartment house.